Effects of divorce on children: father and child Effects of divorce on children: mother and child Effects of divorce on children: father and son
Law Office of
Shelly W. Durham, P.C.
4801 Woodway Dr.
Suite 200W
Houston, Texas 77056

Contact us for a consultation

Texas Family Law Attorney Practicing in Harris, Fort Bend, Montgomery, Brazoria and Galveston Counties

Family Law

Houston attorney Shelly Durham practices exclusively family law. In addition to handling divorce cases, she represents clients with child custody matters, adoptions, modifications, paternity, child support cases, enforcement actions, protective orders, and premarital and postnuptial agreements.


An individual going through divorce may find themself in one of the most challenging times of their life. If you are looking at initiating or responding to divorce proceedings, you need caring, compassionate assistance and support to attempt to minimize the pain and impact on your livelihood and children to the extent possible. Shelly and her staff are accustomed to dealing with the emotional, as well as the legal, aspects of divorce and other family conflicts.

If your divorce cannot be resolved amicably, Shelly is an experienced trial attorney and will fight for everything you deserve. Every marital estate has specific community and separate property issues that must be determined and Shelly will help you analyze and identify all of your community and separate property assets.

Child Custody

Children and divorce or custody modification can be a painful combination. Parents are sure to be concerned about the effect of divorce and custody disputes on children. Shelly, an experienced child custody attorney, can help you navigate the waters of child custody disputes so that you can concentrate on your children's well-being.


Change is the only constant in life, and you may find that changes in your circumstances require you to modify your agreement long after the divorce or custody arrangement has been finalized. Shelly can provide expert advice when you need to file or respond to a suit affecting the parent-child relationship, such as modifying geographic restriction, visitation rights, child support, and more.


If a father's name is not on the child's birth certificate from the start, then legal paternity must be established through the court system. Even where paternity is not in question, the rights and responsibilities of the parents must be established. Shelly can help parents who want to fight for child support rights on their child's behalf, as well as those who want to fight for visitation rights with their child.

Enforcement Actions

The divorce or family law case is final, and the decree spells out the rights and obligations of both parents. But sometimes, you must file an enforcement action to compel the other parent to comply with those obligations. Shelly Durham can help.

Protective Orders

The Texas Family Code allows those involved in a family or dating relationship to obtain a protective order if there has been violence or harassment. A protective order is one way of protecting your safety and rights, as well as the safety and rights of your children, and Shelly can advise you on whether you can obtain one.


Adopting a child can be a wonderful time in your life, and Shelly truly enjoys helping clients through the adoption process. Shelly handles non-agency adoptions, stepparent adoptions and other family adoptions, as well as termination of parental rights.

Premarital and Postnuptial/Partition Agreements

Under Texas law, couples who are getting married can by agreement designate property and/or income that would otherwise be community property as separate property, as well as ensure that separate property will be classified as such in the event of divorce. Additionally, Texas law allows married couples to enter into an agreement to partition their property, such that community property is reclassified as separate property. If you are contemplating marriage and would like to discuss your property rights and how a premarital agreement may affect your rights, or if you are interested in converting community property to separate by agreement, contact Shelly for an initial consultation.

Call Houston family law and divorce attorney Shelly Durham today at 713.960.7800 to arrange an initial consultation.